Hi guys. If you're interested in how to care for your hair while wearing a wig, the article I ran across below is helpful. you may have different ideas about how to care for your hair,let us know by leaving a comment.
One of the things I love most about wigs for protective styling is the fact that I have access to my hair. I am still very much able to execute my hair care routine while protective styling with them, unlike with sew-ins and to some degree braids.
This is a rundown of my routine during the periods I spend wearing wigs.
- Pre-poo - I do this once or twice each week with conditioners and/ or oils for about an hour.
- Shampoo - every week or every other week depending on my hair needs. During this time, I am automatically inclined to use less product and the ones I do use are on the natural side like natural oils or conditioners without cones. Therefore, I evade product build-up, causing me to shampoo less frequently.
condition - My normal routine would usually take this form -
pre-poo->shampoo->deep condition, but since I often skip the
shampoo step, there really isn't a need for the deep conditioning
process, since the pre-poo (consisting of the same ingredients I'd use
to DC) serves the same purpose. I simply seal my
pre-pooDC with a regular conditioner, rinse and go.
- Leave-ins - Tresseme moisture rich (rinse out) conditioner or none at all
- M&S - I tend to do this once or twice a day, using water (or a water + aloe vera juice spritz), conditioner (regular or deep), and oil, in a way that resembles the LCO method of moisturizing hair.
- Baggy/ GHE - Since learning about the benefits of this, I have decided it will be a part of my regimen, but for some reason when my hair is loose I don't do it as often. When my hair is braided however, I do it at least 3 or 4 times each week, which is great as it keeps my hair moisturized (awesome in this weather) while acting as a growth aid.
One more thing, I learnt this trick from SistaWithRealHair. I saturate my ending braid with oil and then wrap it in cling film to keep it super moisturized until the next wash. I just use a bobby pin to secure it for the week.
Also, for the last few times that I have protective styled, I have passed on wig caps as I don't think they do my hair any good.
That's it!! I love how easy taking care of my hair is when I'm wearing wigs for a protective style. My wash
weekend day routine takes very little time since there is no detangling, drying, styling etc for me to worry about. It's great.
What do you guys think? Leave a comment below